Sunday, December 18, 2011

3 Weeks Away... Hardly prepared.

Finals ended last week and I have finally had time to begin preparing for my trip abroad. I've been waiting months for this time to come. However, I feel stuck in my efforts to prepare. Well, maybe it's just that I don't feel mentally prepared for what is ahead. Since school has ended and I have actually had time on my hands to think about something other than class, anxiety about the trip has been on the rise. And the more I realize I don't know, the more anxious I get. It is hard not to let my mind get away from me. I keep conjuring up these crazy situations I just know will happen to me when I get there.

So I am flying into Copenhagen and have to catch a bus or train to Jonkoping. From there the University will pick me up. Make sure you don't book your plane tickets until you know when the school wants you there. Jonkoping only has pick up service Jan 6-8 and you HAVE to be there by the 9th for mandatory orientation. I had to schedule my ticket leaving AR on the 7th to get there early in the morning on the 8th, catch a bus/train and arrive in time for my 4 o' clock pick up. At this time I will finally be able to see where I'll be living for 6 months. Yea.. they don't tell you until you arrive. I think the majority of my apprehension is wound up in how that first day will unfold. My fear is that I'll arrive in Copenhagen at 7:45 am, not be able to get a ticket for the bus or train, and be wandering around without anyone to help, the school is closed by the time I finally make it, and I'm out on the streets for the night. I'm sure (cross my fingers) it will be smooth and easy. 3 weeks from today I'll be able to tell you how that day pans out. 

I'm putting together a box of clothes, shoes, etc and shipping it to Jonkoping prior to my arrival so I don't have to lug 3 suit cases. As the time gets closer I have also called the Swedish Embassy in DC to check on the status of my passport/student visa. I've called BofA to let them know I'll be traveling out of the country so they'll put notice on my account avoiding my purchases getting blocked and accounts frozen. I added skype to my computer as well as family members accounts so we can keep in touch while I'm gone. I still need to learn the basics about Swedish money and maybe a few words in Swedish just in case. 

Other than that, just keeping an open heart and open mind. I know stressing and anticipating don't help. I can feel that this trip is going to influence my future path profoundly. Of course big change is intimidating, but avoiding it is even scarier to me. I can't wait! :)

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment