Sunday, February 19, 2012

When in doubt, mumble.

Things are going well these days. After getting home from Ireland I decided I would settle into my life here in Jonkoping. Mainly because at the rate I was spending money I would be completely broke by March. I arrived home early Wednesday morning and by Friday I was having a melt down. I’ve been going through this strange shift personally and coming to Jonkoping just expedited the process and shoved it into full swing. My issue stemmed from an urge to be true to who I am and live in a way I can feel good about and proud of, while still meshing with everyone socially. When I surveyed my contacts on Skype, no one was better fit for this conversation than Granny Bird. She assured me that there was nothing wrong with me and that I need to continue being authentic and live my life how I want to and stop concerning over what others think or are doing. It always sounds so easily put. As days pass I only see improvement in my confidence and ability to make the right choices for myself. I continue to swallow double doses of growth in my independent ability as I’m realizing I'll simply starve if I continue to expect being spoon-fed. It’s invigorating to see past guidelines and boundaries and I’m finding that attitude is being spread throughout all aspects of my life. Life is only as restricting as you allow it to be. Nothing is ever for sure. Don’t be afraid to change it.

The cereal here is awful. All they sell are flakes! Corn flakes, bran flakes, oat flakes, wheat flakes.. just a bunch of shitty tasting flakes. I miss Kashi Crunch and Mini Wheat’s.

Speaking of food… in my dorm we have Sunday dinner and everyone cooks something representative of where they’re from. Well I am letting the US down, big time. The first time I tried cooking nachos. Growing up we always had Friday nacho night and I always looked forward to a big plate of chips, cheese, and veggies with a big dollop of Daisy. Perfect! Tostitos really needs to tap into the Swedish market because there are NO good tortilla chips to be found here. I settled for an unfamiliar brand but it just threw everything off. I cut up a bunch of veggies but I didn’t have any shredded cheese. I took sliced cheese and laid it over the top of the chips. Ugh. They were pathetic. I was so embarrassed. Last Sunday I decided to try chocolate chip cookies. The Turkish guy down the hall did a year abroad in the US during high school and said he missed his housemothers chocolate chip cookies. Yes, got that! If there is one thing I know how to make its definitely cookies. So I go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients. No cookies from a package. Ok… flour. There was no such thing as all-purpose flour so I opted for the bag that had what appeared to be a cinnamon bun on it. No baking soda, but they did have baking powder. The guy said they are the same thing but they’re not, right?? Most recipes in the US call for both don’t they? Anyway, I bought baking powder and went to look for chocolate chips. They don’t have chocolate chips either!!! My only option was a $5 bag of M&M’s that was comparable to a king size bag you buy at the checkout. Practically gold. Then, the cooking begins. All the ingredients added and it looked like I’d made porridge. It was soupy and doughy and clumpy. I added a little more of this and a little more of that and threw it in the oven. A guy and girl from Mexico were cooking enchiladas for our floor. All 15 of us sat around the table and ate together, savoring over the delicious meal. Time for dessert. FML. My cookies turned out flat, stuck to the pan, the M&M’s had lost all their coloring and looked like brown craters, and the consistency was just all wrong. We all had a good laugh but once again.. I retreated from the kitchen in despair.

There is a girl named Sandra who I met in Fayetteville last semester while she was doing an exchange program from Jonkoping. We’ve been in touch as we are both attending school here now. I’ve got an in with the Swedes! We watched a movie at her apartment the other day and I almost swallowed my tongue when she told me that she only pays aprox $25 more in rent a month. It’s a studio apartment and so nice, and new, and clean, and QUIET! Too late now to dwell, but damn I’d wish I’d known. She also informed me that these beautiful blondes are not all necessarily natural.. There are salons on almost every corner; I was wondering how they stayed in business. 

I have a prediction. I predict that shortly, the chunky heel will be making its way back into current fashion trends. I’m seeing it everywhere! Could be wrong, but be on the lookout.

A little etiquette tip while shopping in Sweden: When you put your items on the black rubber thing in the check out line, you always put down a divider after your stuff. I noticed everyone doing it so I caught on, but one time I forgot, and you’d of thought I had spit in someone’s face. One sure way to get a quick ‘go to hell look’.

I got a position writing an article for the JIBS United magazine, a magazine the business school publishes three times a year. I’m so excited as I’ve really enjoyed writing since arriving in Sweden. School is going really well. I’m learning a lot and warming up to this independent studying. I wrote a paper for Research Methods the other day I felt so good about I could have screamed. I read all the time, continue to study, and add to, my large stack of Swedish flashcards, I write, I research, I’m beginning to walk or workout daily, and rarely sleep. It takes me hours to fall asleep lately, and when I finally do, its well after 2-3 a.m. I guess I have a lot on my mind.

That’s all for now,

L




No comments:

Post a Comment