Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The land of the Swedes


I just went out for a stroll through the city of Jonkoping in the downtown area. Everyone and their mother was out, to use that phrase literally, grandma was tagging along too. During orientation week I was told that Swedish men aim for a balance between their masculine and feminine side. Over 15 years ago men actually began fighting the courts for equal parental leave rights after their children were born. The daddy leave was enacted in 1995 and has been a growing trend throughout other parts of Europe, such as Germany, where more than 20% of fathers also take paternity leave. In Portugal one week is mandatory and Iceland gives 3 months to each parent and then 3 more months to be shared amongst the couple and split as they choose. Pretty cool! I found in an article that said over 85% of Swedish men take paternity leave and it is typically frowned upon if not. So I began to look more closely today and observe this “gender role equalization.” It proved to be very true as I surveyed the crowds of people. Heavy-duty strollers are everywhere here. Packed inside, a lot of blanket and a little bit of baby, with nothing but eyes and nose poking out. There were many men who walked around by themselves with a child in a stroller or one or two children on his sides. Then if there were a couple with a child, the majority of the time it was the man pushing the stroller or holding the child. Now that’s my kind of masculine!

You can always tell a local from a visitor. See, I never knew a scarf wasn’t just a decoration for your neck or an extension of your wardrobe. Its purpose is actually to keep your neck warm. I, and the others from warmer climates, walk around with a scrap of cloth tied around our necks and the locals practically have a bed sheet draped around their face. I think I’ll be making an investment soon as my trachea will surely thank me.

Chores were assigned this week. Who gets to clean the porcelain throne?? None other than your highness. I'll be the best toilet scrubber in the land upon my return.

When I introduce myself to any girl and say my name is Lindsey and I am from the US, you’ll never guess consensus on what comes to mind first. Lindsey Lohan, of course. Nice. Way to fuck it up for the rest of the Lindsey’s in the world Lohan. I’m hoping she gets the role of Elizabeth Taylor in her upcoming movie and nails it. Potential redemption of her otherwise tainted reputation.

The whole class situation is working out a bit different than I planned. The semester is divided into two terms. So I’ll take a total of 4 classes, two each term. One of my classes doesn’t start until next Monday and the other one is apparently online and won’t have any lectures. I went to buy my books today. I was directed to the dungeon of a building, and inside a very tiny room sat a cute girl with a computer and two bookshelves. I’d arrived at the bookstore. I asked about my two books and she says, “Oh, I’ve been looking for that book and cant find it anywhere!” I asked if anyone else in my class had come to buy that book. She said no. The other book I was required to get is in all Swedish. What the hell is going on here?? The bumps in the road are beginning to give me whip lash and I’m finding my patience wearing. At home classes are Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday and the class times are consistent throughout the entire semester and assignments start as soon as classes start. As for my other real class, we meet at random times on random days. My first assignment for research methods, the online course, is due the Jan. 27th. I’ll probably finish it today. I really don’t know what to think. I’m used to having 4 group projects, papers, and exams going at all times. I had a bit of a break down last night. Being so out of control and with so much time on my hands, I’m realizing what a stickler I am, or was. My schedule and regimentation has been so deeply engrained the last three years that taking it away has left me with a tight fist and sore jaw. Though I expect the unwinding to be a bit of a slow process, I am determined to do so for if not, this will surely become an unenjoyable adventure. I think being forced to enjoy the process is a great life lesson as our preconceived notions and expectations only stifle the pure enjoyment you can get out of experiences. I read a statement not long ago that went something like, “For she lived every day like it was her last… and then it wasn’t.” I think that is my biggest fear. If I am not grinding at all times how am I ever going to make something of myself? Achieve my goals? Provide for my family? Become respected? Make a difference in the world? ARRR ARR. Maybe the key is taking steps towards your goals and making good use of your time but most importantly, enjoying the moments that take you there.

To take advantage of my time off and flexibility of this lovely online course, I’ve been busy planning my next ventures. I’m not really interested in seeing a bunch of big cities so I’ve googled beautiful small cities in Europe and have found some amazing places. By using Ryanair.com, you can fly pretty much anywhere in Europe for around or under $150. I have already booked a ticket to Ireland for the first week in February and am looking at taking a trip the last week of this month, though I don’t know where yet. South for sure, as I think my bodies already used it’s reserve of vitamin D from lack of sunshine.

I hope all is well back home! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful encouragement and kind words. Hej da (Goodbye) for now!

L

No comments:

Post a Comment