Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Malta, my love!


I made it to the airport last Wednesday morning, excited about my adventure to Malta. I woke around 6:45am, enjoyed some cereal and stuffed the last of my things into my champion of suitcases, the lovely carryon. We’ll call her Carrey. I left my apartment building 25 minutes before my bus would be leaving to insure enough time to figure this thing out. As I blazed the way with Carrey on these cobblestone streets, I believe I helped wake even the deaf. This weather and these streets are not conducive for dragging a bag with wheels, as it sounds like a jet coming down the runway. Thanks to the janitor of the bus station, I got on the right bus. My ticket says ‘Nykoping Busstn’ and the bus I was to get on said ‘Stockholm’. I don’t know if I just suck at inferring the obvious but I wouldn’t have known to get on that bus. Thank God people are gracious and I’m not afraid to ask for help. There was one stop in alsdkfjj where I got off the Swebus and bought a ticket for the local bus which brought me to the airport. The Swebus trip was 3 hours and there were no stops for a bathroom break. When we arrived at the station the first thing I did was look for a restroom. You can use the restroom there, but your going to have to pay. It cost 5 Kroner or approx .75 cents. I felt like I should stay in there a couple minutes after I was finished. Use the dryer a couple times. Blot my face with some toilet paper. Fill up my water bottle in the sink.

Going through security was pretty hilarious. Since I’ve only got Carrey with me, it was fairly simple. I decided to go ahead and bring my pepper spray because I was traveling alone and I would feel better if I had something to back up my kung fu.  Not that it’s ever failed me before, but having a plan B never hurts. The man behind the computer tells his sidekick to pull my bag and have a look. Aw shit, caught! The man opens my bag and pulls out my 2 containers of face wash, shampoo and conditioner, and my toothpaste. He runs Carrey back through and my hygiene products separately. I was prepared to rat myself out assured he was going to say, “There’s something else in here we see, were going to need you to pull your things out.” But no. He informs me he’ll have to confiscate my toothpaste because it is over 100ml. So I walk away without any toothpaste but still possessing a potentially harmful substance if utilized while aboard the plane.

The flight was great. A bit crammed and without the luxurious extras, but we made it. I sat next to the nicest duo, a Swedish woman and her mother. “Muma” was 85 years old and the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen, besides my grannies of course. As we began the descent, the plane was bouncing around a bit and making me nervous. Muma says “No scare!” and grabs my hand and squeezes it tight. She held my hand for the remaining 30 minutes of the flight until we had landed safely. I wanted to put her in my pocket and take her with me she was so precious.

As expected, everything went smooth and there was a friendly looking Maltese man waiting at the exit with a sign that had my name on it. This taxi ride had given me some mental grief and anguish as it makes me uneasy to be in a country I’ve never been, have a strange man put me in his vehicle, and then ride off into the night without my knowing in which direction is the right one. We chatted it up and I felt good about things. The street signs also signified we were headed to the town I was staying in so that permitted some relief. I was amazed at how beautiful the island was at night. The city skyline was absolutely beautiful as we wound through the streets and countryside. Domes, castles, and cathedrals were lit up from miles away. It was amazing already and I’d just arrived. When I got to the hotel I was very pleased to learn that the $22/night room I’d booked was very nice. It pays off to travel in the off-season. I took a bath and slept like a baby.


I woke up early Thursday morning to have breakfast and find something fun to do for the day. The continental breakfast was amazing! Seriously anything you could want. One morning I made the mistake of going down around 8:30, just when all the families staying at the hotel were ready to chow down. Little boys and girls were running back and forth filling up their plates with Nutella. “But its like peanut butter mom!” they’d exclaim with a mouthful. I went to the front desk and asked where I could find brochures etc on things to do. She pointed to a reception desk with a lady behind it and said she could help me. I booked two bus tours on different days that would show me various areas around the island, a day jeep tour where you take a fairy to Gozo and explore, and the Malta Extravaganza which is like dinner and a show. I did the South tour my first day there and it was one of the best days of my life!

By 9:30am I was off and headed down the coast. It took about an hour to get to Sliema, a coastal city situated next to Valetta. From there I caught the South Tour bus that would take me along the southern part of the island. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I was absolutely freaking out in my mind. Everything was so beautiful. Malta has such variation; harbors, narrow city streets, farmland, rocky and sandy beaches, etc. 





At one point I was bumping along a dirt road atop the bus completely alone, just having the time of my life, laughing hysterically as if their was a comedian aboard. I cant imagine what the bus driver down below was thinking as I knew he was aware I was the only passenger up there. The sun was shining and the landscape absolutely stunning. I don’t think you could have slapped the smile off my face. I was just so happy I’d made the decision to come and faced the concern of traveling alone. I actually loved being alone. I do a great job keeping myself company and many times during the trip I was glad not to have to talk. It’s nice to be internally focused rather than externally from time to time. When we arrived at the fishing port I got off the bus and walked around. I bought some cookies and almonds from a man with a stand at the market. I took a seat on a bench right next to the water to relax and eat my goodies while watching the fisherman work on their boats. Pure bliss. 





I continued on around the island, taking a million pictures of everything. I love how all of the houses/flats/condos all have these great balconies. The colors used on the doors and windows are bright and beautiful with rod iron decorative accents against the stone façade of the building. I couldn’t paint it more perfect if I tried. When we arrived back in Sliema I walked around for an hour and half before catching the transport back to my hotel. I scoped out all kinds of boutiques with wonderful things I wanted to buy but I decided I would wait until I came back on Sunday to shop. When I arrived back at my hotel I had approximately an hour to get ready before my ride would pick me up for the Malta Extravaganza Dinner and Show.

I was the first stop that evening and at first I thought, “Damn, this massive bus just for me!” but he proceeded to stop at many hotels filling every seat. I didn’t mind another evening ride, as simply looking out the window at this beautiful place was enough for me to be very happy. After a little over an hour we arrived at our destination. We got front row seats, as the place wasn’t that packed. I got a little nervous when the horsemen came out and one couldn’t get his to behave. They all seemed a bit inexperienced. Prediction confirmed. They were all very inexperienced. It’s always a bad sign when the same person plays multiple roles. It brought me back to Ocotober 2008 when I auditioned to be a dancer on a cruise ship. If I’d of known the caliber of talent in Malta, this would have been first stop, as I probably would have landed the leading role.  Anyway, It was still entertaining and comical, but for reasons other than what they were aiming for. The food was good and wine plentiful.



Friday I woke up early and waited for the bus to pick me up for the Jeep tour on Gozo Island. The ferry was fun and again the sun was shining and it was projected to be a beautiful day. An older couple from England and myself met our guide outside the port. Malta gained their independence from the British in 1964 but relations are good and many from the UK vacation in Malta. Majority of the couples I met were from England. Most people boarded these buses that held 15-50 people. The jankiest jeep in the parking lot was our baby for the day and we excitedly crawled in the back seat. 



Our first stop was at the Ggantija Temples which is one of the oldest standing buildings in the world. The temple consists of two temple units enclosed by a single boundary wall. They were constructed by farmers and herders over several hundred years, between 3600-3000 BC, using local limestone a couple of miles away. At that time the wheel hadn't been invented so it is believed small, round stones were used as ball bearings to transport the rocks. Can you imagine?? Rituals of life and fertility were practiced within the walls for about 1,000 years until the Maltese Temple Culture disappeared abruptly. It was an amazing feeling walking around the grounds where so much history has unfolded. 


We then proceeded to many beautiful places along the island. When we stopped at window rock the guide gave us 30 minutes to check things out. I walked along the water-riddled rock taking in the stunning sight. A Maltese man, 40 something with long hair and weather warn skin, approached me and said, “Beautiful day isn’t it?” I gave a smile and agreed. The small talk continued for a minute until I realized he was trying to pick me up. I mentioned I had to go but he continued, suggesting I go check out this cave with him. Ha! Ok creeper, nice one but no thanks. I was happy when our guide flagged me over because it was time to go. 


We stopped for lunch and I had the most amazing caprese salad. Across the street was a private school and all the kiddos were out for recess. I watched them beat up on each other while having to restrain myself from walking over and reprimanding them for picking on one another. You couldn’t pay me to go back to middle school. Our next stop was the city center and we had an hour and half to walk around. I went my separate way from my fellow passengers and walked around the city streets. It was almost eerie as everything was closed and not many people were around. Everything closes in the afternoon and then opens back up from 4-7pm. So why the hell he would take us there at 1:30, I’ll never know. There was this massive church/fort he suggested we check out so I walked there. It was amazing! You could see the entire island as it was certainly perched at the highest point. It was used as a look out for invaders. The very top was like a rooftop garden. 



I was so exhausted I decided to lie down for about 30 minutes and stare at the sky. When I realized I was steering people clear of checking out the view from where I was, I decided to get up. Our last stop was this cute little town on the water, known for its great scuba diving. There was a peer with a really nice walk way and lots of benches, so I decided to take a stroll. From behind me I hear, “Beautiful day isn’t it?” I had to double take as I thought it was that same guy from window rock. This time it was a thirty something Gozien man (you’re Maltese if you’re from Malta and Gozien if you’re from Gozo) with long hair, a rough exterior, and the scent of cigarettes that could knock you off your feet. I responded in agreeance and we awkwardly walked together while he attempted to spit game. We chatted a bit but I was beginning to become annoyed at my sightseeing time being hijacked by these intruders. He said he would come to Malta and we could get coffee if I’d like, but I politely said no, thank you. He kept saying, “Well it's up to you but I wouldn’t mind coming to Malta and we could have good conversation and a cappuccino… etc etc.” I’d love to know the success rate of these guys who prey on tourists. That’s a list I’d like to stay off of. The day came to a close and after all the excitement I was so ready for a shower and my bed.

Saturday was my relaxing day. I booked a facial and pedicure and made hanging out and eating main priority. I walked around various places in Melleiha and worked the camera a little bit. It was so nice and I enjoyed every minute of it.




My last day in town I decided I would catch the bus to Sliema. I met a wonderful couple from England  and they filled my head with all kinds of traveling ideas. They are both retired after working 40 years and are just now able to relax and travel. To bad you can’t travel when you’re young and make money when you’re old. I want to find a way to combine the two. There was this little old lady who got on the bus and bless her heart. She needed help on the bus, then her walker was rolling all over the place, she couldn’t find her ticket when the man came around to collect them… though we were all helping her I could tell the poor thing was so distressed. I arrived just in time for the 10am church service in Sliema. I sat in a chair in the back and to the side but was quickly frustrated that I couldn’t see the priest or the beautiful ceiling in the center of the church. I decided to snag a better seat so I got up and walked to the front, took a right turn to the center where the pews were and there he was, the Priest, dead center and right in front of me. I went ahead and quickly took a seat. The service was in Maltese I’m guessing. I mumbled, moving my lips to the songs as not to stick out from the rest or appear disrespectful. The priest spoke for about 25 minutes, hunched over the podium with the holy book in front, as he spoke passionately with his fist raised. I nodded as in agreement throughout the service as the man was practically speaking to me. I haven’t been to church in over a year and it’s been at least 9 since I attended a Catholic service one Easter Sunday. I went up for Communion and after dislodging the wafer from the roof of my mouth, pulled off the sign of the cross quit nicely. The service was over and I was reminded why I quit going to church in the first place. Removed from the distraction and in the comfort of my home, I can find myself much closer to the divine in a 30-minute meditation. None the less, I'm glad I went as most on the island are Roman Catholic and they take great pride in their place of worship.




After realizing every clothing shop was closed on Sunday, I settled for a cozy pizzeria on the waterfront. I practically ate the place empty as I was there for a couple of hours before my ride would take me back to the hotel.

My trip home went well though it consisted of 12 hours of hopping from taxi, plane, bus, another bus, and then the home stretch on foot. I get to do it all over again on Thursday!

All in all, I suggest Malta for a vacation any day. It is very safe, everyone speaks English, getting around is very easy and inexpensive, and the people are so friendly. So theres my plug for Malta, cheers!

Ps I am studying a little.

L


1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog become more interesting and enjoyable with the help of pictures that you have shared in your post.

    study abroad in sweden

    ReplyDelete